December 22, 2016

The Forgotten Forgotten

Before I became Catholic I was a regular watcher of T.V. pentecostals. My favorite was Joyce Meyer. I liked her so much I used to give her 50 dollars a month to preach the gospel and love the world in the mission field.

After I became Catholic I withdrew that money, not because I thought she wouldn't put it to good use, (I believe she's honest with her donations), but I withdrew it because I wanted to give it to Catholic Answers. (I will say here that Joyce's ministry was very gracious with my exit from her partnership, and I still listen to her from time to time on T.V.)

Recently, however, I had a reason to purchase a video from Joyce Meyer Ministries, and now I'm on her mailing list again. I get all her mail again, even though, as I've explained, I don't make a regular contribution to her ministry anymore.

One of the things I have received is a booklet called "Not Forgotten: 30 Graphic Portraits of Social Injustice." It is a well-done publication, printed on medium weight paper, with many graphic photos of some terrible problems in the world that her ministry is working to correct. I believe it will be effective in raising money for the ministry in addressing these pressing needs.

One thing though.

One terrible social injustice has been left out. The greatest social injustice of our time is completely ignored in this booklet. Wanna guess what it is?

Our society, and our world, is facing a shortage of people, not an overabundance, as is commonly believed by the majority. There is a generation of missing people in America alone. We put crosses on the highway to memorialize strangers who've died in accidents. Still, human persons, who happen to reside in the womb, are killed legally everyday in our country, but no one mentions it. (Except Lena Dunham).   It's not polite to suggest that if pride and selfishness are the roots of evil in our world, then certainly, abortion is the fruit.

The womb is a dangerous place in America.

"A human being must always obey the certain judgment of his conscience. . . . Yet it can happen that moral conscience remains in ignorance and makes erroneous judgments about acts to be performed or already committed" (CCC 1790).